People nowadays prefer to choose and buy netbook compare to desktop pc. The reason is, its portability of course. But what if you have to make a troubleshooting with your unit and have to reformat it? Notice that netbooks don’t have any CD/DVD drive. How can you use your Windows XP installer since your unit don’t have any drive to run it?
Today, I will teach you how to install your favorite Windows XP installer in your netbook using a USB flashdrive.
I got this idea from Techsandwich Solutions. I tried some other methods but I found this the easiest and nicest. If you have time, try to visit their site here :www.techsandwichsolutions.blogspot.com
DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.!!!
Carefully read each instructions..
1. You will need a special tool to copy the Installation files and making the USB-stick/SD card bootable
Download the tool HERE:
2. Unpack to any folder. THE PATH TO YOUR FOLDER MUST BE SIMPLE AND WITHOUT SPACES! (ex. c:\usb_multiboot_10)
3. Insert USBstick / SD card.
ALL DATA ON YOUR STICK WILL BE ERASED! Please back up before running USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd!
4. Format utility will apear. Choose NTFS for >=4Gb usb flash and FAT16 for other, Start format, Close after finishing to allow the DOS operations to continue.
Using the “HP format” option works fine for any capacity, and you can use FAT32 without problems (I used a 4GB stick). This can be useful as more systems can read FAT32 than NTFS.
NOTE: If you are doing this from a Vista machine, you may need to run PeToUSB.exe as adminstrator in order for this program to recognize the jump drive. (Right click PeToUSB.exe > Properties > Compatibility > “Run this program as an administrator” checked.)
5. Set options 1 and 2. Set option 0 only if you want to use USB HDD instead of a USB stick/ SD card.
6. Do not touch other options if you have no idea about it.
7. Choose 3 after setting all other options. It will create the image and write it to the USB stick as well as making the USBstick / SD card bootable.
8. Answer Yes to all questions that come up (these vary depending on options selected).
9. When it finishes copying, remove your usb stick and insert it in your NETBOOK to install XP.
10. When you turn on the Eee, hold down “Esc” to choose the boot device and select the USB stick/ SD card. You'll need to do this at each reboot until XP is fully installed and you've logged in.
11. Choose Text installation at first time and GUI INSTALLATION AFTER REBOOT TWICE! - ( Choose step 1 to start installing, after reboot choose step two, after continued install press step 2 AGAIN to log into XP - As soon as you arrive at the Windows XP Desktop you can safely remove the USBStick / SD card.
If you get hal.dll not found errors, read carefully the last two last bullets!
If you get 'ntldr is missing' or other boot errors after you have ran text installation make sure you have deleted ALL partitions during 'text installation' this includes the BIOS partition.
Enjoy installing XP..